To Do Before Departure

What health precautions do you have to consider before departing?
Who will take care of your plants or pets when you’re gone? 

Immunization for Foreign Destinations

Make sure to get immunized with the recommended travel vaccinations for your destination country. Here you can find reliable and current information on specific vaccination regulations for each country and further information on illnesses when travelling abroad.

Medical Precautions for a Stay Abroad

Make sure to prepare a small first-aid kit before departure and be aware of country- or region-specific risks. For example, you might need different products for interning in Spain than you may need in Serbia or the subtropics.

For stays in regions where there are higher chances for malaria, consult your doctor for any prevention measures you can take. Please also note that some medications are only available by prescription, and might not be available in every pharmacy.

You should always take the following medications and documents with you:

  • Personal prescription medicine.
  • Medicine for diarrhea, headaches, fevers, nausea, upset stomach, and vomiting.
  • Disinfectants and bandages.
  • Tweezers and thermometers.
  • Copies of all prescriptions (medication and glasses).
  • Health insurance card and documents.
  • Proof of yellow fever vaccination (if required for your trip).
  • A list of nearby hospitals or clinics (including emergency services) at your destination.

More information can be obtained from your doctor or local pharmacy.

Also, please note that in some countries your favourite cosmetic products are not easily available or are only available in a different composition. For example, some creams in China contain a bleaching agent similar to western tanning creams.

On-Going Contracts

Depending on the duration of your internship, it is best to cancel or freeze some contracts in order to avoid unnecessary expenses, such as:

Your apartment Contract:
Look for a subtenant for your apartment or cancel the lease to avoid double costs for accommodation. Please also make sure that your mail is redirected to your new address or the address of a family member.
You should also inform LEONARDO-BÜRO SACHSEN when you change your address so that you receive any necessary documents for your scholarship programme.

Mobile Phone Contract:
Thanks to EU roaming, you will be charged the same amount for roaming in EU countries as you would in the country you bought the SIM card. However, it might make sense to freeze your mobile phone contract at home or cancel it for longer stays in non-European countries. Then, you can start a new contract or buy a prepaid SIM card in your destination country.

Find out about country-specific tariffs and prepaid SIM cards or ask your current mobile phone provider about international tariff plans.

Fitness Studios/Gyms:
In many fitness studios you can freeze or cancel your contract upon proof of an internship in another country.